[Our CEO, David Barrett, was asked to speak in front of the U.S. House Of Representatives Committee On Small Business about how apps like Expensify can impact small businesses in America. We wanted to share his written testimony. Link to the spoken portion is here: David Barrett speaks before Congressional Small Business Committee Enjoy!]
What Congress Can Do to help SMBs
- Help create awareness by working with the SBA and Chamber of Commerce to educate small business owners as to what mobile apps are available.
- Support the “gig economy” by strengthening employees’ freedom to choose when and how they want to work.
- Welcome legal immigrants to start more small businesses and to enable existing SMBs to compete more effectively with large enterprises.
- Simplify internet tax collection by centrally aggregating and publishing per-zipcode sales tax rates on a defined schedule.
- Encourage crowdfunding by reducing the risk and overhead for business owners to solicit funds from a broader range of investors.
- Reward true innovation by creating tough software patent standards to invalidate frivolous claims and stop patent trolls.