Hey there, I hope you had a great holiday season and that 2015 is off to a great start. I won’t bore you with the details, but needless to say 2014 was a big year for us — most notably by adding 4000 new customers, including the BBB, ZenDesk, and most recently Yahoo! At this scale of growth, just keeping the lights on is a lot of work. But in addition to the mundane details of scaling a mission-critical, global-scale financial application processing $billions of expenses, I’m very happy to share details on our latest creation: our new mobile camera!
1) Look close the next time you use the Expensify app and you’ll notice after clicking the SmartScan button, there is a new camera that offers:
- Photo library selection: It was there before, but now it’s easier to find.
- Flash control: Flash away!
- Rapid fire mode: Scan that stack of receipts like a boss (or using Wingman, for your boss).
2) Scan and go, one-click flow. After you take the photo, we go straight to the Expenses list and start uploading right away, so no need to hit Save.
Now, a new camera flow that cuts a couple taps out of the SmartScan flow might not seem that big a deal. But when you process millions of receipts per month, those precious seconds add up — especially when you’re holding up the line behind you at the cash register while scanning the receipt. Because as a reminder, the optimal way to use Expensify is to:
a. Buy something delicious, like a hot dog.
b. Open the Expensify app and tap the SmartScan button, while waiting for the receipt.
c. SmartScan the receipt the instant you get it, and hand it back to be discarded.
d. Put your phone in your pocket, and grab the hot dog. Lotsa onions.
e. Focus on the flavor; your receipt will be uploaded and scanned for you to handle later.
Said another way, if you’re putting your receipt in your pocket, you’re doing it wrong. Let us handle it for you, it’s what we do!
Anyway, 2014 was a busy, busy year — check out last year’s posts to relive the glory. But what we’ve got lined up for 2015 is going to blow that out of the water. Hold onto your hats!
PS: Did you know 37% of billion-dollar startups use Expensify? See who else does here: http://use.expensify.com/customers