EDIT (2/2/11): This position has been filled. Please see expensify.com/jobs to review any currently open positions.
Hi! I’m David Barrett, the founder and CEO of Expensify. We’ve got a ton of money in the bank, paying customers, hundreds of thousands of users, a fantastic (albeit small) team, and a super pimp office. Things are really starting to take off, and we need your help taming the chaos. Here are some examples of what we’d love your help with:
- Shop for the office! – About that pimp office we mentioned above… it’s currently empty. We’ve got ideas of what we generally need and a generous budget to go and make the awesome office of our dreams, but are too busy to actually go out and do it. We need someone with a good sense of style to turn these empty rooms into an exquisite workspace:
- Schmooze on company time! – So many parties, so little time. We need someone to attend all sorts of social, tech, and industry events to carry the Expensify flag to the far reaches of the Bay Area. We need everybody to know that we’re here, we’re hiring, and we’re ready to rock their socks.
- Walk my dog! – And keep the kitchen stocked, handle the mail, schedule meetings, arrange travel for interview candidates, get coffee for guests, answer the phone, and so on. All the little things that every once in a while just need to get done.
- Build a company! – Anybody can do the above. But only you can do that while also helping us build Expensify in a very tangible way. Do market research, analyze data, contact customers, support users, execute PR and marketing campaigns, manage contractors. We need it all; the more you can and are interested in doing, the more we all win.
The job isn’t strictly a difficult one; on its face it doesn’t require any specialized skills. But that doesn’t mean it’s easy, or just anybody can do it. In fact, I’m hesitant to even ask because I’m certain I’m going to get a flood of resumes from everybody in the universe. So while I’m sure you’re awesome, please make it really easy for me to find you by emailing me the answers to the following questions:
- What’s your website? Or blog, or Facebook, or Twitter, or whatever you use to identify yourself online. We’re looking for a social, web-savvy person; let’s see what you’ve got!
- What’s your story? Basically, where did you come from, what are you doing with your life, what do you want to do with the rest of it, etc. (FYI, we’re only considering local candidates for this position; relocation isn’t an option. Sorry!)
- What do you hope to get out of Expensify? Obviously there’s fame and fortune (obviously), but what else?
- Shopping is easy when you have either no budget or a fixed budget. But we’re somewhere in between: We have money and are willing to spend it on things that are nicer than strictly necessary. But we don’t want to waste our money unnecessarily. Rather, we’re looking for some level of spending that’s “nice and maybe a touch extravagant at times, but without going overboard”. Given that, and given the vast range of options available, how will you decide which — for example — conference room table to buy?
- Going along with the previous question, provide a link to a conference room table that you’d recommend we buy. It should be about 8 feet long and comfortably seat 8.
- What experience do you have talking on the phone in a professional manner?
- Imagine a candidate is flying in for an interview next Friday, and will be staying the weekend. Go check out the travel websites right now and pick which exact flight and hotel you’d book for the candidate. (Once again, you’re not being given a strict budget to work within: I want to see what you feel is a reasonable balance between cost, convenience, and comfort.)
- Anything else? Why are you the perfect person for the job?
That should do the trick for now. Write up answers to the above questions, email them and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and I promise I will personally respond — hopefully in a timely manner, but definitely sometime. Thanks, I’m genuinely eager to meet you soon!
Founder and CEO of Expensify
Follow us at on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Congrats on taking your start-up and bringing it full circle to a powerful experience and help to others. While I cannot apply for the position (in South Carolina here), I wanted to see if I could be of service to your organization. I currently use your service, but it is hard to get in the habit of it. It is simply new to me.
Check out my website and see how I can assist you in building your business or motivating your employees. You can also read my story there.